Friday, May 22, 2015

PUSH UP DAY 83

52 Push ups

  • 5 Sets
    • 2 standard
    • 25 fists
    • 10 military
    • 10 standard
    • 5 standard

Also ran 24 minutes this morning.   Continue to be surprised at how slowly running is coming back to me, if at all.  On a positive note, at one point within the p90x3 dvd I followed along with this morning I managed a max set of 15 dead hang pull ups.   Considering limited rest and not having focused on them that is a very good number for me, well, it's a good number for me even if I had been focusing on them and been well rested.  I credit the push ups. 

Off subject, today is Case's last day of 1st grade...his summer will consist of flag football practices and games, swim team, other swimming, vacations, travel and lots of other fun stuff.  I can already hear him whining.   Finn has been out of school since Wednesday, he'll be following his brother around for the next few months, which means nothing really changes for him except his hair will be blonder with each passing day.  

Cumulative push up total:   6927
 

5 comments:

  1. Well, Mr. Presidents, I also achieved 15 dead-hang pull-ups earlier this week, which I'm pretty sure is my best set since being a teenager. Hard to say, though—as a teenager I could do 20-25 pull-ups, but I usually did half-reps. Now, as a wiser and slower-going adult, I'm a fan of the full range of motion, all the way down, all the way up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CMB, I am very impressed especially considering the fact that the length of your arms is a serious detriment to the full pull-up effort. Well done. Also very happy to know, but not surprised that you too believe in what I consider "real" pull ups -- I wonder sometimes if they aren't perhaps a bit more dangerous, but not enough such that I change the way I do them.

      Delete
    2. I was going to ask why dead-hang pull-ups are riskier for injury, but now I'm wondering whether I'm really doing dead-hangs. I lower all the way down but keep my arms flexed such that the elbows don't quite lock-out and the shoulders don't fully stretch. I suppose I'm not really dead-hanging. What do you think, Mr. Presidents?

      Delete
    3. Let me try to explain what I mean when I say "dead-hang pull-ups" -- Imagine you are doing pull ups and you've completed perhaps 2 or three, you're gripping the bar well and not yet fatigued. Then you have a heart attack and die, but unbeknownst to you someone had applied Krazy Glue to the bar immediately before you grabbed it and somehow you didn't notice. Well, what I consider dead-hang pull-ups are pull ups (as opposed to chin ups) where your chin clears the bar completely and ideally is horizontal to the ground when you're pulled all the way up and the opposing bottoming out point is the position where you would be found, perhaps hours later, dead-hanging with your hands glued in grip position after that horrible heart attack. So, elbows completely locked out as straight as they go and shoulders fully extended, biceps nearly touching ears (dependent upon how wide hands were when cemented in place by the Krazy glue). Note that I do maintain my head and neck in upright, normal, erect position as opposed to letting them assume the flopped down positioning I expect would result from my death by heart attack example.

      Delete
    4. That's a great definition, and yes, dead-hang pull-ups seem maybe a little riskier than not-quite-dead-hang pull-ups—which, from now on, are what I'm going to call the pull-ups I do—but I can't imagine the extra risk is very much. But mainly, that's a great definition.

      Delete