Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Day 370 and 371 -- Push up day 4

  • 2.87 miles
    • 8:00/mile pace
    • 2350
    • Houston, TX
  • A double up effort as the meetings/conference/dinner ran late and I had to squeeze this one in -- seriously thought about ending the streak, but didn't want to end with a 6 in the number and also just couldn't allow the streak to end in the home town of faithful streak reader, Craig M. Brandenburg.  
  • Downtown Houston:   From the corner of Smith and Jefferson, down Jefferson to Dowling, left to Polk and then returned -- included for CMB in case he may care to know the details...loosely associated, Dowling is not a thriving road, economically speaking...well, not legally at least. 
  • 25 push ups, standard (hands just outside/wider-than shoulders and at shoulder level with relation to length of body:   Going forward I will try to add a bit of detail with regard to the type of push-ups being done...starting with next effort I will begin to a) vary the types and b) increase the volume occassionally...until I get burned out and then just do streak extender efforts to the utter bordom of anyone following)  

4 comments:

  1. I need to see some handstand pushups from you. They are easier than they sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do some just for you IronChad, I'm actually pretty experienced with them, though it has been a while...I used to really get into resistance training, now I just try to fight off resistance to training :).

      Delete
  2. As recent as six years ago, the place to run in Houston is Memorial Park, near the intersection of the I-610 and I-10. It's got a hardpack track that goes in a big loop nearly three miles long that encircles a golf course. After any workday the track is pleasantly packed with the crowd of a few hundred runners. Parking can be a problem but is worth the hassle.

    I remember going to Memorial Park a lot during my last years in Houston, post-College but pre-Phoenix. I drove there from my apartment after work. (How different I used to be!) I would run once around the track and then, on good days, do some sprints on a regular, cushy-surface track nearby. Those days are the fastest I ever was as a sprinter, which in my opinion is what counts most in running—though I'm having to change this opinion as I get older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the info regarding Houston, just wish I'd have been able to use it -- next time. As for what counts most in running, I agree with you, but also feel that sprinting is a much younger man's game, sadly enough. That stated, I think I'll include some sprints soon just so see how it goes...

      Delete