Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Day 132

  • 5 miles
    • 8:05/mi pace
    • 0615
    • Treadmill Arrowhead CC
  • When I woke up at 5:30 it was raining and I decided that might be a good thing since I could justify doing my run on the treadmill and thus never being to far away from help in case I passed out and fell down as I thought I was going to do last night.   Turned out that concern wasn't necessary and run went fine, not great as I still didn't feel super, but not bad at all.   No, it was not raining while I actually ran on the treadmill, but whatever, it looked like it could have started anytime.   
  • Treadmill said I climbed 290 feet during the 40 minutes and 26 seconds and burned 670 calories...the climbing stat has more meaning to me, but not much.   I did sweat a lot, which is fine I suppose.   

2 comments:

  1. One quirk with treadmills is that the wind resistance is zero no matter what speed you run. For slow and casual speeds, like 8min/mile, this may not matter much. However, for faster speeds it can matter a great deal. I remember once doing the Tuesday night speed workout and running consecutive quarter-miles with a couple minutes rest in between. I think I paced around 5min/mile--plenty fast for me. However, during one of the last runs I paced directly behind another runner, who paced a tad faster than me during the previous quarters. I ran within one stride length behind him and felt myself enter and stay within his slipstream, just like with biking. In the end, it proved easier to run faster in his slipstream than it was to run slower on my own during those previous, unassisted quarters. Ever since then, I've taken drafting seriously in short running races, when I pace around 6min/mile, and minimize the amount of time I'm out in the open, exposed to the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that seems to much to try to replicate...I add incline to increase the difficulty for that reason, but of course that is not the same. I didn't realize you could notice it in a short run like that, will have to experiment with it to feel it myself, but I know that what you say is true.
    PS 5/min mile pace is quite fast for most everyone

    ReplyDelete