Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 200

  • 6.9 miles
    • 7:37/mile pace
    • 0930
    • Some flat dirt road in Phoenix
  • Flew in from LAX in the morning and then met up with Dean Rosenlof for what was supposed to be a nice relaxed conversational run, so we could catch up with each others lives and also discuss our plans to run the Tucson Marathon in December.   Well, it was great to see him for sure, but we fairly well butchered the idea of a relaxed run...no, it wasn't especially fast, but, for me at least, it was taxing to carry on conversation until I finally decided to slow down after maybe 4 miles just so that I could.   That fact is a good reminder of how far I need to go in terms of fitness as I'll probably need to be able to run 7 flat (on the clock and terrain) pace while carrying on conversation eventually, if I'm to meet the sub-3 hour goal.   Geez, getting ahead of myself again.   Happy to have hit 200. 

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 200 days. That's a lot of not forgetting to run.

    Question: How does the difficulty of the Tucson Marathon compare to that of other marathons? I know the topography of second half of the marathon predominantly comprises a gentle downhill and is easier than a purely flat course. But isn't the first half of the marathon hilly, with both uphills and downhills? That might make your sub-3hr goal harder to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Craig -- now, to answer your question: My understanding/belief is that the Tucson Marathon is considered a "fast" marathon and the course is one where someone would have a good chance to run their best time. If during my research leading up to actually signing up I learn anything different then I will have to reconsider if that is the best place for my sub-3hr attempt -- sitting here right now I have a hard time imagining it under any circumstances, but that is a different discussion, plus I'm trying to stay positive. More specifically, I've heard that the first 20 miles are at least slightly downhill, but I can't recall where I've heard or seen that...I need to do some reseach. I also need to make sure to train my legs to be able to withstand the pounding of a downhill marathon, which I imagine will be excruciating. Time taken to complete may not be the best way to determine "difficulty" in relation to completing such a marathon.

      Delete
    2. Forget all this "maybe it's downhill" nonsense. We should organize a marathon race that starts at the top of Mt Graham, elev 10,700ft, and finishes at Swift Trail Junction, elev 3,300ft. Downhill the whole way. We could sell knee replacements at the finish line.

      Delete
    3. Organizing such a race sounds much better than participating in it :).

      Delete
  2. I've heard from a few runners who did the Tucson Marathon. Some loved it, some hated it. I know two runners (one was the LMI 3rd place finisher) who aimed for a PR and ended up getting very beaten up by the course. One person returned and kicked butt the second time around. From what I hear, it sounds like it's a great place to get a great time, but you have to actually train your body to be good at going downhill. Maybe some reverse LMIs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, thank you for the good info, even if it does worry me a bit :). Reverse LMI's it will be then...and you're such great follower of my blog I promise not to even hate you as I suffer through them.

      Delete