Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Day 202

  • 4.41 miles
    • 7:40/mile pace
    • 0635
    • From/To home
  • A very small volume of interval work today -- I call this work out the "Terrible 2's."   I do slow warm up jogging for about 10 minutes and then go hard for 2 minutes followed by easy for two minutes and repeat etc.   Today, as I am just starting to try to run with any speed to speak of, I decided I would do 5 terrible two's.  They were hard as I expected, but not too horrible.  I was probably too conservative with them, which I didn't feel bad about since it was my first time doing them in years.  Here's how they played out from a distance covered perspective:
      • .33 mi
      • .22 mi
      • .33 mi
      • .22 mi
      • .33 mi
      • .22 mi
      • .33 mi
      • .23 mi
      • .33 mi
      • .22 mi
  • Adding the warm up and short cool down results in the overall mileage.   The interval figures (or "Terrible 2's") equate to roughly 6 minute per mile pace during the hard two minutes and 9 minutes per mile during the easier two minutes -- per my Garmin 305 watch there was some fluctuation in pace, but at such short distance/duration those were not enough to have much affect on the distances covered as you can deduce from reviewing figures above.   I will need to greatly increase my speed during the hard minutes and ideally also during the easy minutes I guess, but we'll have to see how that goes after monitoring perhaps monthly or so.  
  • Yes, I should have run hills this morning instead, but I piddled around for too long after waking up and as a result only had time to do the above, which I've wanted to be able to convince myself to do for a while, so I guess it is better than nothing...and extended the streak, of course.

2 comments:

  1. Hurray, intervals!

    These “Terrible 2's” sound like a great workout to do with a buddy. You know, we still haven't done a run together—excluding the LMI, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points all around CMB -- believe also that considering the LMI as a run we did "together" would be inaccurate as well since I could barely keep you in sight most of that run. We will definitely do some "Terrible 2's" together in the near future, though perhaps after our revisit to Trail 100 and North Mountain...I never considered how much more miserable the "Terrible 2's" could be, but thinking about it now I know that pushing each other to do them harder will most certainly accomplish that.

      Delete