Wednesday, March 4, 2015

PUSH UP DAY 4

187 push ups

Today I started the 100 push ups challenge program -- I started on week 3 as that was suggested by the website based on the initial test.   It called for 5 sets, 1 minute apart ("or longer if needed") with the following reps per set:   14, 18, 14, 14 and then max.   Here is how it played out for me:

  • 14 standard push ups
  • 18 standard push ups
  • 14
  • 14
  • 25 (18 standard and then the last 7 were with Finn on my back because he thinks it is funny to lay on my back when I do push ups -- I try to finish before the boys wake up, but they wake up extra early sometimes -- the only complaint I have about him jumping on is that he doesn't balance himself perfectly so I worry about over working one side, but this morning he kept one foot on the ground, so it wasn't all his weight, which I appreciated)

After doing the prescribed sets it was time to do the P90X3 video of the day called "The Challenge," which is just push ups and pull ups of varying types totaling to about 20 sets of each.   The idea is to pick a number you can (or maybe can) do for each and hit that number each set.    Today I picked 10 and 8....10 push ups and 8 pull ups.   Here is how all that played out:

  • 2 warm up (Yes I was warmed up, but Tony told me to so I did)
  • 10 standard
  • 10 standard
  • 10 military push ups
  • 10 military
  • 10 wide hands
  • 10 wide hands
  • 10 staggered hands
  • 10 staggered hands
  • 5 standard
  • 5 military
  • 5 wide
  • 5 standard

Above were alternating with pull-ups and chin-ups of various types, but this is a push up blog now so I won't detail all of that.   In hindsight the one "max" effort I was to do today was actually assisted by Finn due to the fact that I stopped short of complete muscle out failure since he was on my back...not that it would've bothered him, it just gave me an excuse.   I'm OK with that though, even though I shouldn't be, because I seem to still be short of mentally prepared to go completely to failure.  

Spoiler alert!   Tomorrow will be a streak extender only...I might do my 25 reps in 25 sets :).  

Oh and as additional unnecessary info, I no longer allow Case to get on my back during push ups, dude weighs 65 pounds, which I'm pretty sure is what I weighed my first year of Mighty Might (under 80 pound) Football.   I was in the fourth grade.   Case just turned 7 and is in the first grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment