Monday, August 6, 2012

Day 305

  • 13.25 miles
    • 7:42/mile pace
    • 0530
    • Tempe, AZ -- IMAZ loop plus a bit
  • Well, another collosal failure.   Seriously, I didn't have it at all...and I can't even think of any excuses.   Previous disappointing long runs included G.I. issues, heat, whatever...this one, just plain inability to come close to the scheduled pace.   By not close I mean, similar to how far off I'd have been from the podium if I'd have run in the 100 meter final against (Olympic spoiler alert! -- NBC coverage is so frustrating...we live in America and can't even watch anything live...???)  Usain Bolt and the rest of the insanely fast finals field.   Not sure what to make of it, not wanting to give up, but wondering if perhaps I should...by giving up I mostly mean adjusting my goals, but when I was supposed to speed up at the end of this long run and ended up actually slowing down overall, well, at that point I was wondering if adjustment of my goals might include refamiliarizing myself with my golf clubs.   I definitely have confidence issues right now, but I'm thinking there must be something more to it than that as concern over ability to maintain certain speeds shouldn't affect me to the point of not being able to make previously (like a month or 2 ago) easily maintained speeds.  Odd, but hey, at least I didn't get eaten by any alligators.  

4 comments:

  1. CMB, wow. I can honestly say that I hadn't thought of that...which only proves that we never see ourselves from anywhere close to the same angle everyone else does. It seems very possible and logical that I could be overtrained, despite the fact that I hate aknowledging that I could be since it seems any or all of the following: a) Ignorant b) weak c) a cop out d) weak d) ignorant. The bigger problem is that if that is indeed what it is then not taking a break of some sort is probably even dumber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's possible for you to take a break and continue your streak. A full month of nothing but slow-and-short streak extenders mightn't make for an exciting blog, but it might have you feeling a lot better.

    The golf cross-training should help, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see and agree, though a month seems a bit more than I may be able to mentally tolerate...perhaps I'll start with a few days? Maybe a week? As for the excitement level of the blog, well, I doubt many would consider it exciting anyway, so I'll just further detail the short slow runs if only to show that I'm still making the blog effort.

      Delete